Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

My friend and I are in discussion over gratuity for the person who cuts our hair. We are both generous tippers, and we both go to the same person. Our stylists now has his own shop, and his prices are much more expensive. She says that it is not expected to tip the owner, but she does leave $20 behind just because. I on the other hand leave 18 to 20 percent (which is a lot on the total costs to get my hair done by him). She thinks that is crazy b/c he is the owner. I did find etiquette on that everyone who touches your hair should get a tip.... 15 to 20% for the person who did your hair plus $5 to $10 to each person who touched your hair... I also found etiquette advice that the owner should NOT be tipped. What is the general thoughts from this community on this topic? Should the owner at a salon (who is expensive in the first place) be tipped at all?



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

No. In general, the people who receive tips, have that taken into consideration with their wages. Waitresses make a rather small amount per hour but depend on the tips to make the difference. The owner of the salon is a business owner and makes money from all aspects of the salon. The loss of tips is taken in consideration with his higher prices.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

I should think so. The stylist, owner or not, does the same work. I would also think that the owner has many more burdens than the employee, and I'm sure could use the extra cash.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

yes



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

I think you should. After all, you are tipping for the service you recieved. Why should it matter who did it? I was in a simmilar situation in a restraunt. It was a new place. The food was really good. The person who served my food did a great job. When I left a tip they said, "You don't have to tip me I'm the owner". I told them I liked the service I recieved, and they deserved it. I didn't care about etiquette, they deserved it.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

I used to get my hair permed and cost me without tip $80 I generally give the dresser $5 for doing my hair but if I have a little extra money then I give her $10 I think $10 is enough for a tip...



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

sure, as long as they are cutting hair they should be tipped,



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

Yea, I think ya gotta tip him. It's his decision how to set his prices, it's your decision weather to keep going there, and he is doing the same work regardless of his title.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

I always tip my hair stylist and she owns her shop. I guess we all have to make that decision for ourselves. You could find another stylist that's not so expensive if this one has become too expensive.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

My mother just mentioned this to me a couple weeks ago and according to her (she's 75) the owner should not be tipped. My opinion is that even the owner should be tipped. On a $24 bill, I tip $10. I like my stylist (who is the owner) and I like what she does to my hair.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

I agree with the answer from Laura H.



I'm sure he appreciates the monetary tip, but I'm confident he is not depending on them as the poster Laura H. stated. If you have always tipped him, he probably will not even realize if you don閳ユ獩 tip since he most likely is not the one you pay for the services when you leave. (I'm sure he has someone handling this at checkout). Since his prices are higher now that he has his own salon, and he seems to cost more to even request him, you can trust that he has raised them because he knows the owner is typically not tipped. It's actually against etiquette and can be considered an insult to leave one because tips are usually given to someone not earning a lot of money. So, be free of this worry!! Continue to see him and just pay for the services rendered. A professional does not ask for nor expects monetary tips for doing a great job especially when he (or she) is pretty pricey in the first place and sounds like your guy falls into this category!



I have my own business, as well. I can tell you the BEST TIP you could leave him is to write a wonderful letter to tell him how great he is and how much you appreciate him. And refer your friends (sounds like you already have)... These are the tips he will remember and cherish the most ... these are the 閳ユ涪ips閳?that will enable his business to thrive閳? referrals make him MORE money and the positive letter will lift his spirits up!



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

The stylist who owns a shop should NEVER be tipped. I know because I am a stylist who owns her own shop. I have owned my salon for over five years, and I have about 6 stylists (good ones). Stylists in my shop are well-paid 閳?they rent space each month and I hire 閳ユ競usiness-minded閳?stylists who do not want the burden of 閳ユ笝wning閳?a salon, but also don閳ユ獩 want to be an employee. We actually have a sign that says 閳ユ窌ratuity is not Necessary閳? For those that insist on tipping, we have a fund for a local charity, and my customers love our concept (so do my stylists).



These days most stylists (even those that do not own the salon) make $80 to $90k a year BEFORE any tips. Yes, this is true! That閳ユ獨 great money. A high-end salon should not allow their customers to tip. If a stylist is renting space, he/she in essence is running his/her own show (business), and if they are good, they are making a lot of money. If a stylist is not good then he/she will not be in it long (tips or not). In many cases Stylists make more than the customer. Most of my customers are very wealthy so they like leaving 閳ユ笩omething閳?extra, but give to the charity! I could talk all day about this - it is a sore subject with me because I think a stylist who accepts a tip degrades the profession. Being a stylist is hard work (it閳ユ獨 tough on you physically), and it閳ユ獨 expensive to stay on top of the trends, but if you are a good Stylist, you can command a price to match the services rendered plus you will be busy enough to turn a profit. A great example on tipping someone that you shouldn閳ユ獩 is someone who is an Airline Attendant. Try tipping an Airline Attendant when he/she brings you a cocktail on the plane, and see how he/she reacts to this--- most are highly offended, and I閳ユ獡 telling you stylists are making MUCH more (a good one does) than an airline attendant. I personally think it is very tacky that high-end salons allow this to go on as it is very easy for a customer to run up a $200 bill for services at high-end salons. Remember, stylists GET paychecks閳? Waiters/waitresses do not get but minimum wage so tipping is good in that industry plus it閳ユ獨 just part of the deal閳? If a stylist is not able to build a business to get a check then chances are he/she should choose a different profession.



Should the stylist be tipped if he is the owner?

yes if he did the actual service.

No comments:

Post a Comment